SyllabusMTIV8– Required Download
- Due 1/11/18
- Workbook p. 367 ( most recent edition) CTo7 chords only
- Notate by groups, as was demonstrated in lecture on Tuesday, all the diatonic and chromatic mediant chords for the keys of B minor and Eb Major. Are any chords between the two keys common chords? Consider all enharmonic possibilities.
- Due 1/16/18
- Read Chapter 31 pay close attention to enharmonic modulation with diminished seventh chords and relate to the equal divisions of the octave presented in lecture
- Workbook 31.3 I.A. , 31.3 II. A. (1), (2) and D. (1), (2)
- Compose a 24-32 bar etude for harp or piano or mallet instrument that is primarily diatonic and chromatic mediant and submediant chords with two CTo7 chords inserted into the etude. The etude is in a major/minor key (C or a not permitted) and has a functional progression to open the work and to close the work. The middle is all 3rd relationships and CTo7 chords all framed with the formula X 3rd Relationship chord X or X CTo7 X. Use Finale. Upload to Dropbox.
- Due 1/18/18
- Accept Dropbox invite. If there is a problem write the professor. Upload work there.
- Read Chapter 32
- Print out from the internet-find a reliable source- a diagram of typical Sonata-Allegro form, often just called Sonata form.
- Find out how this form is related to the Baroque binary form. Hint, note the double bar.
- Listen to:
- Clementi Sonatina in C Major-first movement
- Beethoven Sonata in C Major, Op. 53, first movement
- Mozart, Piano Sonat in G Major, first movement (K. 283)
- Due 1/23/18-Chart with analysis
- Connor, Mary Kate, Natalie F, Brian, Amelia: download a copy of the Clementi Sonatina in C Major, first movement. Each person analyze the work. Create a chart of the form of the work, include measure numbers for the themes including closing themes if present, sections, double bar units, keys,
- Christian, Violet, Natalie M, Alex, Maria download a copy of the Mozart Piano Sonata in G Major , K. 283 first movement. Each person analyze the work. Create a chart of the form of the work, include measure numbers for the themes including closing themes if present, sections, double bar units, keys,
- Time will be given in class to each group to share and finish the chart/anaysis. These will then be presented to the class.
- All students are to download a score of the first movement of the Beethoven Sonata in C major, Op. 53. Bring the printed score to class for in class analysis.